Time for my weekend wrap up, aka my weekend Boston getaway. It all began with me leaving work around 6p (and driving through some rough neighborhoods to avoid traffic) and parking my car at AirPark LAX (the cheapest place I know of to park at LAX). I made it there with plenty of time, grabbed a Starbucks mint hot chocolate, and hopped on my Virgin red-eye (9:30p) flight to Boston.

After a flight with minimal sleep, I arrived at 5:30am in Boston. I took a cab to meet up with my parents at the Park Plaza Hotel they coincidentally were staying at last weekend (for a medical conference). I arrived by 6am and chatted with my parents in their room until 8am when my mom had to head to the conference. My Dad and I decided to grab a quick protein-filled breakfast and then begin our speedy Boston adventure. We decided to cut across the Commons and explore Charles St. area. We stopped in a cute brunch place called The Paramount. This was exactly what we needed. This tiny modern diner has quick turnaround.

You start by getting in line and ordering your breakfast (I went with a tomato, basil, mozzarella omelette and fresh fruit cup) and then we look for a seat. The place was very busy, but had a quick turnover so that seats become available fast. It’s a great place for something filling and fresh, but not a good place to go if you plan to sit for awhile (like a catch-up brunch date). From here we kept walking along the adorable Charles St. We got on the T (their metro) and took the line to Harvard (Cambridge). From here we saw where students were “Occupying Harvard”. They had guards around the entrance to Harvard Yard to protect/fight the protesters? Their intentsions were unclear, but Harvard was pretty bare at 9:30am on Saturday except for these uniformed officers.

We continued on to Harvard’s Sackler Art Museum which didn’t open to the public until 10a. We waited in their vestibule just to get out of the cold. Eventually my Dad was able to score us 2 free tickets because he has a Massachusettes address (free to MA citizens on Saturday). This was a fun museum, although not very big. They had a large collection of maps/prints on their top level. This was a fun exhibit, seeing how people in the 1600’s+ perceived the globe. The first level had modern art with a range of impressionism up to now. The second and third floors had antiquities that Dad and I didn’t care to see, given our schedule.

We moved along to Harvard’s Natural History Museum. This museum was AWESOME. Plan time to really explore this place. They have a special deal for residents on Sunday, but as this was Saturday, we payed full price. From there we walked up to their third floor which houses most of this wandering museum. If you go to the right wing, you enter the room of geodes an continue on to rooms that focus on the earth and cultural impact on nature. If you enter the room across from the stairs, you will see a room filled with glass replications of plants. You won’t believe that these species are made of glass (for scientific purposes). Be sure to continue on to the left wing (this was my favorite!) to see their many rooms displaying stuffed life-sized animals and skeletons. They had hundreds of birds, mammals, insects.. so on and so on. Every room had something cooler than the room before. For artists, this is a great place to practice life drawing and examining animals that you could never get close to in person (let alone get them to strike a pose). This place was awesome and if you’re in town you must go. (Please pardon all my cell phone pics, I left my nice camera in the hotel.)

Eventually we had to be on our way to follow the schedule. We walked down to MIT to explore some Frank Gehry architecture (Stata Center)  and see some smarties. After that we rushed across the Longfellow Bridge (while listening to my fathers complaints of exhaustion). We passed a cute paper shop back along Charles Street called Rugg Road Paper Company (which reminded me that I needed a wedding card for later that night). After purchasing a card my dad left to go see my mom on her lunch break from the conference while I met up with my good friend Dot you took the bus into Boston for the wedding. As we were tight on  time, we grabbed a quick lunch with my dad and then we hit the road to get to Andover Mass. Kaliegh’s wedding was awesome. It was so lovely and personal and it screamed Kaleigh. For example the delicious cake was funfetti (Travis, the groom, insisted) and the icing was covered in hot pink sprinkles (had to be pink, Kaleighs favorite color). Catching up with my good RISD friends and getting to spend an entire night with them was so special.

The next morning, we attended the wedding breakfast and then said our goodbyes. Dot drove back to NYC with our friends Sally and Si, while I drove back into Boston to spend my last 4 hours on the East Coast with my parents. My mom had this day off, which meant the three of us could spend time together. We walked all over through the parks, down Charles St, up through the rolling hills of stately townhomes, anf by the Capitol. We grabbed a bite at 75 Chestnut. I had the pumpkin sage ravioli (yum!) and we enjoyed a great lunch together. They had live music and large mimosas.. now this is a girls brunch kind of place. I would happily go back.

After this, we said our goodbyes and I was off to Logan for my return flight. My weekend in Boston was over, but it was a packed, fun weekend. Now comes Thanksgiving… Denver anyone?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s