Design Sponge today posted a link to this awesome article about famous pieces of art made out of found objects. How cool are these?! The artist is Jane Perkins and this series is called “Plastic Classics”. Click HERE to see more of her work and an article about her on Demilked.
I’m sorry for the recent radio-silence. No Im not injured or ill, just swamped with the daily grind. It’s funny how getting a day off (Memorial Day) just means we stay extra late every night of the week to make up for it. Don’t get me wrong- it was still amazing having Monday off. Too much to do-so little time! I hope right now you are having a wild night out on the town. I am currently in my bed drinking wine, watching Anthony Bourdain eat his way across Europe and it’s amazing.
Tomorrow I’ve got a big building day ahead, so follow along on INSTAGRAM to see my most up to date progress shots! I’m really excited about it!
I’m sorry I didn’t get to post an activity yesterday :( Especially since it was cinco de mayo and there was plenty going on. One day I’ll be done with my time consuming job and I can focus more on you, but in the meantime I hope you’ll accept this as my apology gift: ADORABLE WET DOGGIES!! See all of Sophie Gamand’s Wet Dog collection HERE!
Happy Saturday everyone! How is May going for you? I’m trying to be really positive about May and so far it’s been treating me well. The past week has been in the 90’s in Los Angeles, which means weekend exercise is limited to early morning and dusk to avoid over heating. I met up with my friend Susie at Trails Cafe (in Griffith Park) for a yummy cheap breakfast before a walk with her 8 month old puppy Birdie. Mid walk we caught a deer eating fruit from a tree in a neighbors back yard. It was a nice reminder that even in a major city there are some nature filled moments.
Around noon, when it was too hot to be outdoors we said our goodbyes and I stopped into Home Depot where I bought this amazing Kreg Pocket-Hole System. I think it’s going to be a game changer when it comes to my furniture pieces. When I got home I sanded and glued a table Im building for a friend (a future project to share with you) and I used the Howard Wax I bought last weekend on my newest coffee table. I love the sheen it ads and the orange scent. It just feels more natural. You can see above it looks pretty great. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get to share the finish installed product with you.
Tomorrow bright and early I’m running in the Los Angeles River 5k Fun Run so I need to complete this Saturday with a run and then hydrated night-in so that Im ready for tomorrow. Hope you all are enjoying your weekend! What did you do today? Leave a comment and let me know!
Another month older, another month wiser? Probably not, but we are well on our way into spring at least. April was a really fun month for me, with guests coming into town and weekend trips. It was a busy month, but Im excited to see what May brings to the table. I’m hopeful that May will be reenergizing, and filled with more creative projects. I’m also starting to plan for a summer Africa trip, and In the next two weeks I expect tickets will be purchased and tours will be booked, so I anticipate by the end of May I’ll have spent more than I hoped. Oh well, it’s freakin’ Africa?!
I’m getting ahead of myself. Lets give April a full recap!
– Delivered a table I made! They loved it (April 3)
– Delivered another table I made! (April 4)
– Fitz and the Tantrums concert!! (April 5)
– Met up with my RISD friend Melisa for dinner (bumped into Moby) (April 7)
– Sommer’s birthday dinner at Edendale (April 10)
– Uncle David stopped by The Newsroom (April 11)
– Alex and Kelly’s Wedding! My date with Mr. Peepers (April 12)
– Relaxing Malibu day with Erica. Lunch at Neptune Net + El Matador Beach and Point Dume (April 13)
– Dinner at Alcove with Grace, Eva, Karen, Erica and then to the Observatory for the Blood Moon (April 14)
– Drinks with Jamie at Tony’s (April 15)
– Dodgeball Spring Season started up (April 16)
– Finally a day off! Walk and Park day in Silverlake, Happy Hour, and Karen’s goodbye gathering at Golden Road (April 18)
– Beach glamping weekend with Erica up north! We did it right! (April 19-20)
– Grace’s birthday dinner (Aug 22)
– Dodgeball + voting event in Glassel Park and then a commissioning meeting to talk side tables (April 26)
– Build Day! Sand and stained my newest piece and Jeremy’s 30th birthday (April 27)
– Indian dinner with Erica where we mapped out our upcoming Africa trip (April 29)
Cheers to April, and now on to May!
It’s already almost a week into April and time to look back at March and see how my 2014 resolutions are coming. This post is mainly to keep myself on track, but I hope it inspires you to work on your own goals as well. In THIS post I detailed my 2014 resolutions, and now that 3 months (yikes! Time flies!) have gone by, it’s time to see how productive I’ve been.
As I shared last month, I’ve started keeping a list of key goals that I’ve met throughout the month so I can feel like I’m at least making a dent. This list excludes anything that follows routine, and is reserved for new activities, goals, or just things that excite me. I started back to work at the start of March, so I was far less productive in my outside goals, but did my best to fill nights with friends, exercise, comedy and good times. It’s also worth noting that the last two weeks of March I spent suffering from a nasty cold (which I can’t seem to shake).
– Made website for my shop on Squarespace for the year. It looks awesome (March 2)
– Started back on the Newsroom Season 3 (March 3)
– PGA/DGA screening with Grace and Carl (March 6)
– Took Sally and Kerrie on a tour of LA (March 8)
– Explored the Palos Verdes Tide Pools with Erica, Kerrie and Sally (March 9)
– Payed off all my 5% interest rate student loans!! BIG step!! (March 10)
– Dodgeball finals! We didn’t win, but had a good time (March 12)
– Comedy event hosted by Kevin Bright at the new Emerson Building (March 13)
– Special Birthday dinner at a Palos Verdes Resort for Tamar’s Birthday (March 21)
– Saw Brandon Walsh (90210) on my morning walk (swoon) and Special Birthday dinner at Bow+Truss for Erica (March 22)
– Finished another table! And more birthday events at Golden Road (March 23)
– Edendale for Michelle’s Birthday (March 25)
– Beverly and Ronna show at UCB (March 28)
– Productive Sick Day – got a lot of at home stuff done while resting (March 29)
– Sent off my first Etsy sale, Brunch at Sqirl, Gregory and Kelly’s wedding shower (March 30)
I feel good about how my free time was spent and this is the big month where most of my LA friends had their birthdays which meant lots of fun friend time. I also was good about maintaining my 4-5 walks a week, but slowed a little during those sick weeks. I also crossed a big student loan goal off my 2014 list of resolutions. Lots to be proud of this month, especially given the work stress that comes at the beginning of every project.
Now that March is on, it’s time to tackle April! Spring is upon us and since I don’t have the garage this month, my projects are on hold until May which means I’ll be spending my weekends attending weddings, taking day trips outside of LA and focusing on exercise. First things first, making this cold go away!
It’s Friiiiday everybody! Are you ready for the weekend? Sure enough Im swamped and can’t do a weekend guide, but I had a two second break and wanted to share this link to a site called Thugpography. My friend Sommer brought my attention to it, and it’s beautiful and hilarious. It’s all lyrics from rap songs, and it’s a fun arrangement of fonts and text. Happy Friday!