As you probably can tell, my 2011 was unbelievable. The key thing that helped push me to do new things in 2011 was my GIANT resolutions list. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t like a huge bucket list filled with unobtainable goals. Some goals were small like “buy hiking boots”, “cook more”, and “stay positive!”. Some goals were larger like “run a 5k” and “complete 38 LA walks”. And one was huge, “conquer fear of heights”. I think its important when making a list of goals to have some easy and some hard, because boy does it feel good to cross things off the list. I also like to pull out the list at the start of every month, to help me pace out what I’ve done and what still needs to happen. Don’t save it all until December! And the point of the list isn’t to have a painful year doing really hard things, it’s about trying new things and making 2012 memorable.
Life Absorbed’s 2012 Resolution List
– Complete all 42 walks in “Secret Stairs, A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of LA”
– Go rock climbing!
– Do at least one “monster” walk in 2012. Use my new “Car-Free LA” book to find a good really long walk and make a day of it.
– Resume hikes from my hiking book! Give those new hike boots a work out.
– Go camping!
– Hike (or ski) Mt. Baldy.
– Go back to Catalina!
– Keep filling my nights and weekends with fun activities, even if it means being tired the next day. It’s worth it!
– Visit Hearst Castle.
– Go cross-country skiing for the first time.
– Go white-water rafting.
– Go kayaking.
– Try yoga.
– Try spinning.
– Make new recipes to last during the week.
– Go to Chicago to visit my good friends and see a new city.
– Keep up my nightly walks. An hour a day does so much.
– Try new bars, restaurants and museums from my “L.A. Bizarro” book. (As Amber pointed out to me, we don’t have to see any of the porn-esque stuff and that is agreed).
– If someone says, “try this hike with me” or “lets do this sport” or any other physical activity, say yes!
– “Grow a Pair!” In 2012 I need to face the little fears. I successfully faced giant fears in 2011, so this should be easy right?
– As a part of “Growing A Pair”, I’m going to go on dates in 2011. It’s something Ive been putting off because I hate doing it, but why not? If it’s the worst, then oh well. If it’s great then maybe I get a new friend out of the deal. I’ve jumped out of a plane, I think I can handle a silly little date. So send your single, outdoorsy, male friends my way.
– And of course I will work hard to maintain you, Life Absorbed. I wish I had started you last Jan. 1st, so now I must make up for lost time.
Here is my new list! It’s a lot shorter than last years, but I think this list will prove to be more challenging (and more expensive). I need to take a moment to thank all of my friends for helping me complete last years resolution list. It really is a group effort. My friends were so great about joining me for activities that I was nervous about. They got me off my butt when I felt myself getting lazy. Their encouragement really pushed me to follow through with my goals. I hope you are all as lucky to have amazing supportive people in your lives. I dedicate my 2012 list of goals to them, and cheers to 2012! We are going to have a blast!